The intra-gastric balloon occupies a volume of the stomach causing a feeling of satiety and a reduction in food intake. The treatment must be combined with dietary and behavioural management.
- Non chirurgical : Insertion by an endoscopic procedure
- Characteristics : Non-sterile, single use only, biocompatible, radio-opaque filled with air and water
- Expected weight loss : The expected weight loss at 6 months is in the order of 34% of the excess weight, which corresponds to a weight loss of about 16 kg. A clinical study* gives information on the maintenance of weight loss over time after extraction of the balloon
- Duration of treatment : 6 months maximum
- Average duration of the operation :
- Insertion 15 minutes (under general anaesthetic with or without intubation)
- Extraction 15 minutes (under general anaesthetic with intubation)
- Average duration of the hospitalisation : As a day case or short hospitalisation for the insertion. As a day case for the extraction.
- Indications : In patients adults with a BMI ≥ 28 kg/m² with or not the comorbid factors (HT, Sleep apnea, diabetes, …), before bariatric surgery, in patients with a contraindication to bariatric surgery, in the context of orthopedic surgery